November 19, 2009

My boys are so weird!

Tonight, Kris asked Grant to use the mid-size vacuum w/hose to vacuum around the perimeter of the kitchen. Grant did a great job, but as he was working he started "exploring" with the vacuum hose. First, he smucked it to his cheek. He looked like Buddy the Elf in the scene where Buddy sticks his face against the mailroom tube and says, "Oh, it's sucky. It's VERY sucky!" But Grant didn't stop there. The next time I glanced his way he had lifted his t-shirt and smucked the hose to his chest--right over his nipple. "I'm sucking my boobie, mom!" He thought it was hilarious, and he laughed even harder when I tried to give him my best 'judgmental mom look.' After that, I just gave up and let him vacuum his boob.

Last month the boys stayed at my mom's for dinner while I attended some meeting. I don't remember if they stripped naked and started running around, or if they were taking a bath and talking about their penises, but mom HATES the word penis. So, she told them to stop showing off their "dangling participles." Well, ever since that night, Ross and Grant have taken sheer delight in gleefully saying, "Look at my dangling participle!" whenever they're naked. Especially Ross. He says it a. lot. Like tonight when he was zipping up his sleeper he said, "I gotta be careful not to zip my DANGLING PARTICIPLE, mom!" He says it with an impish grin that just makes me shake my head and laugh every time. So, thank you, mom, for teaching my boys a super-fun-to-say phrase that they think is a bit of a risky phrase. I can't wait to see their reaction in 7th grade when they realize it's just a grammar term.

8 comments:

TBRKO said...

LOVE IT! I guess I didn't realize she didn't like the word penis. It's better than the V word at least. That word is just a whole other issue.
I can just picture Ross doing that. Now I want to see him soon!
Btw, maybe the weirdness is an Ingersoll trait?!

Anonymous said...

Now that's just too funny. I think you should put both stories in your Christmas letter! (finally figured out how to add comments!) kel

Unknown said...

Tell Ross not to make it a habit of vacuuming his boobies because then they will look like my boobs that are dangling participles. FUNNY posts are the best. Have a great weekend Erin!

Erin said...

1. Yes, this wierdness is DEFINITELY an Ingersoll trait. We need to look no further than our own father and uncles.

2. In the Christmas letter? Really? Not too inappropriate?

3. Melissa--HA!!! Good one!

Kris said...

Ummm at least your kid didn't come home from daycare and tell grandma that 2 of the lil boys at daycare had "poopy in der baginas" yeah, still haven't figured that one out! My mom was pretty much mortified but I think I almost peed my pants laughing when she told me. Lucy now tells me that boys pee "outta der holes" so she's apparently uncomfortable with the p word too....

Erin said...

Hehehe. I think I prefer "bagina" to "vagina." I can't quite bring myself to use the v word with any of my kids yet. When Ross asked me why girls don't have penises, I told him we have "girl parts" instead. Other child-appropriate euphamisms for this one, ladies?

Miranda said...

I don't know whether the booby sucking part or the dangling participles is my favorite part of this blog!!

ABCDH said...

Hahahahahahahaha.....