November 8, 2009

Motivation

In my quest to lose that last 10 pounds I've held on to since before Ross was born, I am struggling to stay motivated. It takes such DISCIPLINE to not only eat "on program" but to also fit in rigorous--or even moderate--exercise. I did fairly well today on the eating, until after I put the kids to bed. Late evening is my absolute worst time for snacking. I brushed my teeth before coming back downstairs and wasn't even feeling hungry and I STILL ate. I have indulged in cheese and chocolate, along with three glasses of wine. Anybody out there have any great suggestions to avoid this bad habit? Because it has, in the past, and could again, turn into a habit.

Kris has been gone hunting all weekend and won't be back until Wednesday. The kids and I had a great weekend. I enjoyed an afternoon with my dear friend J, whom I hadn't seen since August. We tooled around all afternoon and then enjoyed pizza and playtime with our kids. I led children's liturgy of the word as mass this morning, and there must have been close to 50 kids! I was really pleased by how well it went--the children were engaged in the discussion, and I think we all enjoyed ourselves. Grant came with me to church, and although he pissed and moaned about it like he does every week, he managed himself very well during mass, especially considering it went 75 minutes today. He even had some really curious questions about communion and the body and blood of Christ. We had a successful "study session" this afternoon working through the Parent and child Reconciliation lesson for the week ( he's preparing to receive this sacrament on December 5), and Grant has now memorized his Act of Contrition. All the while, Ross didn't interrupt us because he was watching a movie. So all in all, it was a super weekend. Hey, I even got all the laundry washed, folded, and put away (well, except for the last load waiting to be folded upstairs in the basket).

Didn't do any grading, but I will this week. For now, my students will just have to wait a little longer for their exam grades. Hope your weekend was a good one.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I struggle at the same time each and every night as well. The best thing I do is literally do not walk in my kitchen again until morning. Sounds ridiculous but out of sight, out of mind is very true.

Kris said...

Yeah...Melissa's trick is what I usually have to do too! Add to that I don't have anything yummy in the house that's not somewhat healthy. Sounds super boring and I do feel for my poor treatless kid but hey, mommy's gotta do what mommy's gotta do right? You look fabulous so don't stress too much about it. You deserve some treats and wine on occasion. Hey, let me know how pics went too...

ABCDH said...

God, do we ALL do this?? For me, after bed time is perfect because I can actually enjoy the treats and snacks without being bothered!
But, I do what Kris does - which is not have the stuff in the house at all. (Halloween has been a killer!). I will find myself going through the cupboards 50 million times, but if there's nothing good then there's nothing good.
I DO snack on fruit and eat sunflower seeds constantly!

Erin said...

Yeah, the Halloween treats have got to go soon. You know how AJ said if there's nothing good then there's nothing good? Well, that was the case last night (because I really do try to keep only healthy things around), so my cheese was spoonfuls of parmesan and my chocolate was a packet of hot cocoa mix. Is that desperate or what? I wasn't going to admit this last night, but here I am, spilling it all. Glad to know I'm not alone, friends. Thanks for the advice. AVOID THE KITCHEN!

Kris said...

What's even more funny is that I have banned Jif peanut butter because I can pretty much eat it on anything! Now I just buy the all natural stuff which isn't near as good and still works if Lulu wants pnut butter. Sad...I've also done the parmesan cheese thing so don't feel bad. Are we all a touch crazy or what?!