May 26, 2008

Reminiscing




Mom gave me three boxes of old school stuff last night. Lots of it was from the 1988-89 school year, when I was a sophomore in high school and Bonnie was in 7th grade. I always felt like a bit of an outsider in school because I didn't have a closeknit circle of friends. But looking back now, I realize I had a pretty good high school experience (if rather bland--I was SUCH a goodie goodie). Tenth grade was full of eventful moments:





  • being in the school musical, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. It wasn't a performance of the caliber MHS is famous for now, but it was still a blast (we were mourning the loss of Grace Holland and were under the direction of a very, shall we say, green teacher who I don't think is there anymore). If you know Joseph, then you know the music is amazing. I can still sing along to almost the entire score when I see the show. Andrew Charon made us all tye-dyed, oversized t-shirts that were part of our costumes; I still have mine--and wear it instead of a robe in the bathroom (yes, it's that long). Matt Philaya played Joseph, Jeff Greenwood was Jacob, and a lot of other classmates were in the show, too.

  • competing in the All American Marching Band competitition in Orlando, FL and taking 2nd place. It was my first time flying, my first time at Disneyworld, really my first big trip anywhere (you can vouch for that, right Bon?). I had such a crush on Josh Alexander. He was a senior and the drum major leading us all. I think he's a principal somewhere now...

  • earning a spot as a varsity volleyball cheerleader. I loved cheering for VB because it was a sport where I actually understood all the rules. Our squad got along really well too, and that was the year the Spuds went all the way to state and won! I remember going to Burger King with the other cheerleaders after home games and eating french fries dipped in mayonnaise. Obviously, fat and calorie content wasn't a huge concern for us in 1988.

Here's what we were listening to that year:


1. Faith, George Michael


2. Need You Tonight, INXS


3. Got My Mind Set On You, George Harrison


4. Never Gonna Give You Up, Rick Astley


5. Sweet Child O' Mine, Guns N' Roses


6. So Emotional, Whitney Houston


7. Heaven Is A Place On Earth, Belinda Carlisle


8. Could've Been, Tiffany


9. Hands To Heaven, Breathe


10. Roll With It, Steve Winwood


11. One More Try, George Michael


12. Wishing Well, Terence Trent d'Arby


Hope you had fun going back to the 80s!

7 comments:

TBRKO said...

For the record for your blog viewers, I HATE that picture and do not want the general public viewing it. I will get you back...somewhere, somehow. And, it will be just as ugly as that stinking picture!
Just you wait! ha ha

Erin said...

I don't think that many people read my blog--AJ, mom, Kelly, you--and all but Kel knew you when that picture was taken. It's not ugly, it's just "jr high!" Besides, look at what a beauty you are now! Did you show your kids the picture?

ABCDH said...

Okay, where's the picture?????

Erin said...

Bonnie emailed me and I thought she was seriously angry that it was up there, so I took it off. Turns out she wasn't mad exactly, she just hates that picture. It's up again for a day or two.

TBRKO said...

Well I hope you all love the pink plastic barrette I wore...as well as the sweater that I bought at Harrah Harrah. Nice style huh?

ABCDH said...

Okay, that's NOTHING! As soon as I can figure out how to scan pictures I will post some doozies of myself.

TBRKO said...

Okay Erin I think it's time to get that photo off now..for real.