April 18, 2008

Shoulder update

Well, I went to the orthopedist yesterday. I appreciate it when a physician introduces him/herself upon meeting you; shakes your hand; and explains conditions and treatment options in detail. Collectively, these actions and interactions convey the message, "I realize it is valuable for you to have as much information as possible, and I will do my best to educate you about what is going on with your health." Dr. McGregor did all of these things, and I really appreciated that. I never felt dismissed, talked down to, or like my questions were stupid. I've had really good experiences with most doctors I've worked with.

Dr. M explained that if a person does not have physical therapy following a dislocation, s/he has a 90% (!) chance of dislocating the shoulder a second time. THAT was news to me. Neither my regular doctor nor the emergency room doctors that treated me the first time recommended PT or following up in orthopedics. No wonder it happened again! Dr M. also stated that most people respond very well to PT, so that's what I'll do. He said I have great overall shoulder strength, so hopefully this will be successful. I only have to wear the stabilizer sling at night now, and I'm feeling really good during the day, so those are good signs, too.

2 comments:

ABCDH said...

This really isn't something you should have to be dealing with considering you just had a baby!
Having chronic neck and shoulder issues myself I have to say that I would rather have any other part of my body be out of commission!
I hope the PT works well for you.

TBRKO said...

Me too Erin. Nice that he finally told you stuff you should have heard last fall!