August 7, 2008
I got home this afternoon and opened the back door to let Dory in the house. She was sleeping on the deck, but she didn't come when I called. When I approached her she was so still. When I touched her and felt how stiff she was, I knew she had died. Her collar tag had gotten caught between the deck slats and in an effort to free herself she choked. Poor Dory--she must have struggled so much because the collar itself was twisted twice around at the buckle and the metal D-ring to which her tags were attached was bent. We are sad tonight. She irritated us sometimes, but she had just passed beginner's dog obedience with flying colors and had finally become housetrained. She was a sweet and loving dog. We will really miss her.